Connecting the new circuitry to the VTX chassis. Most connections are through the 12-position "Euro" terminal strip, except heater power (to the left) which is hard-wired. First power-up, with no tubes inserted. LEDs ahoy! This just verifies that the +15V power supply is working, and I haven't made any grievious errors in the wiring. I verified that the channel-select 3-way switch works, turning on and off the yellow and green LEDs on the VTX, and the preamp-select 3-way works, turning on and off the white LEDs (yes, those are white, not blue as they appear in the camera). And I verified that the HV supply works, by taking it out of standby and observing that the blue LED of the RGB pilot light illuminates. (It's a bit dim with the 10M resistor though, I guess I need to decrease the resistance; gotta take care with the power dissipation...)
OK, that was successful, I've got the footswitch operating the way I want now. Added benefit is to verify the same wiring I plan to use with the front-panel switches (shared ground, etc.). Everything seems to work fine. As mentioned, the functions are now button 1 = "norm gain", button 2 = "lead gain", and button 3 = reverb. Amusingly, I almost convinced myself I had wired something wrong, because I never really noticed and internalized, until now, that the "lead" channel is the first one (leftmost on the panel), followed by the "norm" channel in the middle. Worse yet, "lead" has a green LED, whereas "norm" has a yellow LED! This is all backwards from most "standard" amps nowadays (even ones from Peavey). So I almost tore into the plug and started rewiring it again when I saw green where I expected yellow, etc., but fortunately I clued in just in time. Weird, I might have to swap those LED colours...
Comments
Post a Comment